(test) ? a:b

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sat Oct 25 07:58:14 EDT 2014

On 10/25/14 1:03 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> alister wrote:

> [Dan]
> Of course it won't be clear to*everyone*  but it should be clear enough to
> people who are familiar with standard Python idioms. A concrete example
> should be more obvious than the fake example:
>
> title = ('Mr', 'Ms')[person.sex == 'F']
>
> which should be clear to anyone who understands indexing in Python and that
> True == 1 and False == 0.

You mention "standard Python idioms."  I think this style of
conditional-via-indexing is becoming quite uncommon, and is no longer
one of the standard Python idioms.  This is now in the category of
"outdated hack."

Yes, its meaning is well-defined by the language.  But no, its meaning
is not immediately apparent to most of today's Python programmers.

Of course, opinions obviously differ.