I am out of trial and error again Lists

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 02:46:08 EDT 2014

On 10/24/2014 12:07 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:40:39 +0100, Mark Lawrence
<snip>
>> How many more times, state what you expect to happen and what actually
>> happens.  "doesn't work" is useless.  Please read this http://sscce.org/
>
> Good suggestion.
> OK  how is this?
> It doesn't print what I expect.

That is NO different from the useless crap you consistently give us!  Tell us EXACTLY WHAT YOU
EXPECT!!

> Does it print what you expect?
Yes it does.  But what I expect is different from what you (erroneously) expect.

> name="123-xyz-abc"
> for x in name:
>      if x in range(10):
x is a character (a one-element string).  range(10) is a list of ints.  A string will never
match an int.  BTW, as it is used here, range(10) is for Py2, for Py3 it needs to be
list(range(10)).

>          print ("Range",(x))
>      if x in str(range(10)):
Once again, find out what str(range(10)) actually is.  It is NOT what you think it is.  And I'll
reiterate what everyone here keeps telling you:  USE THE INTERACTIVE MODE to see what really
goes on.  If you keep resisting this you are making your understanding several hundred times
more difficult.

>          print ("String range",(x))

Sorry for the harsh tone.  I'm old, and the curmudgeon is starting to come out in me.

      -=- Larry -=-