I am out of trial and error again Lists

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 24 20:27:03 EDT 2014

On 10/24/2014 6:27 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

> I promise I am not trying to frustrate anyone.  I know I have.

Seymore, if you want to learn real Python, download and install 3.4.2
and either use the Idle Shell and Editor or the interactive console
interpreter and a decent programmer editor.

I cannot recommend CodeSkulptor to anyone.  The opening statement
# CodeSkulptor runs Python programs
is deceptive.  CodeSkulptor Python is not Python. It does not correspond
to any x.y version of Python. It is a somewhat crippled subset of
ancient Python (2.1) with selected additions of later features.  It does
not have exceptions, raise, and try: except:.  These are an essential
part of original Python and Python today  It does not have complex
(maybe introduced in 1.5) and unicode (introduced in 2.0).  Let that
pass.  More important, it does not have new-style classes, an essential
new feature introduced in 2.2.  Python beginners should start with
unified new-styled classes.  If lucky, they need never learn about the
original old style, dis-unified type versus class system that started
going away in 2.2, is mostly gone in 2.7. and completely gone in 3.0.

If you really want to continue with CodeSkulpter Python, you should find
a CodeSkulpterPython list.  You cannot expect people here to know that
legal code like
   class I(int): pass
will not run, but will fail with an exceeding cryptic message:
   Line 1: undefined: TypeError: a.$d is undefined
Nor can you expect us to know all the other limitations.

This is a list for Python.  If you want help here, get and use a real
Python interpreter, with a proper interactive mode, as multiple people
have suggested.

--
Terry Jan Reedy