I am out of trial and error again Lists

Seymore4Head Seymore4Head at Hotmail.invalid
Fri Oct 24 17:35:34 EDT 2014

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:19:22 +0000 (UTC), Denis McMahon
<denismfmcmahon at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:15:13 -0400, Seymore4Head wrote:
>
>> I do understand that.  7 is a number and "7" is a string.
>> What my question was...and still is...is why Python 3 fails when I try
>> using y=1 800 get charter
>>
>> y in range str(range(10))
>> should work because y is a string and str(range(10)) should be "y" in
>> str(1) fails.
>> It doesn't give an error it's just not True when y is a number.
>
>This is because str(range(10)) does not do what you think it does.
>
>In python 2.x, str(range(10)) creates a string representation of the
>complete list, not a list of the string representation of the separate
>list elements. '[0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]'
>
>In python 3.x, str(range(10)) creates a string representation of the list
>object. 'range(0, 10)'
>
>the only single digit strings in the python3 representation are "0" and
>"1"
>
>To recreate the python2 behaviour in python 3, use:
>
>str(list(range(10)))
>
>which gives
>
>'[0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9]'
>
>howver the test:
>
>if x.isdigit():
>
>is much better.
>
>But finally, with your telephone number decoder, look at:
>
>http://www.codeskulptor.org/#user38_QnR06Upp4AH6h0Q.py

That is much cleaner than mine.  Nice.

I did make one more change to mine that makes it easier to read.
I changed treating all " -()"  With a space.
I am still thinking about how to treat the large space if it is a
digit instead:
1 800 555     5555