FYI: Micro Python running on kickstarter pyBoard project, now shipping

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 17:50:49 EDT 2014

> On Oct 23, 2014, at 2:11 PM, sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> On Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:07:26 AM UTC-7, jkn wrote:
>> Hi all
>>    I haven't heard in mentioned here, but since I saw one of the boards today thought I'd pass on the news:
>>
>> The Kickstarter 'MicroPython' project, which has a tiny 'pyboard' (only a couple of sq.inches in size) with a processor running 'a complete re-write of the Python (version 3.4) programming language so that it fits and runs on a microcontroller' is now shipping.
>>
>>    https://micropython.org/
>>
>> Looks nice; I have no connection but will be getting one myself to play with...
>>
>>    Cheers
>>    J^n
>

> Is there any particular reason to get one of these when I can get a Raspberry Pi which is faster, has more memory, and a bundle of other features?
>
> I mean, the idea seems cool and all, but I'm trying to understand why I would want to spend the ~$45 on something like that when a ~$35 Raspberry Pi will do everything and more, and do it faster.

Power Consumption.

I don’t know (looked quick, but didn’t find anything fast enough) the exact numbers, but the Pi is meant to be plugged in to something, or chew through batteries quickly. If your IoT device fits in that space and you need all that periphery, that’s great. The Pyboard is running a STM32F405RG (low power contex M4). So I’m betting various children of mine, that it can go a whole lot longer on the same bit of power. Coin cell operation for long periods is probable.

I think you look at the $45 as a development board. The site says you can get access to just about everything, so there’s nothing to keep you from prototyping your killer pythonic IoT gadget with these, then doing your own tiny board, populating them with the same chip that you can get from DigiKey for $7 a piece in quantity. Can’t really do that with the Pi.