Building lists

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Mon Oct 20 16:48:54 EDT 2014

In <obja4a5ij57rtuaivtvcuqsufhuhk3a2su at 4ax.com> Seymore4Head <Seymore4Head at Hotmail.invalid> writes:

> Will Python work like this:

Python is a capable general-purpose language, so yes, it can pretty
much do anything you want.  The trick is knowing how to do it.

> Make a list of 0-50.
> Then can I add to that list so the second item will hold something
> like cheese, eggs, milk.

You want one item to have cheese, eggs, and milk?  What's the point
of calling it one "item" if it holds three things?

> Say then I want to add the price of cheese, eggs and milk.
> Say then I want to add another list of price of cheese, eggs milk from
> another store.

> Can this be done starting with just a list of numbers from 0-50?
> Please no hints, just answer directly how it is done.

Each list item could be a tuple consisting of the item name and a dict
containing the item's price at various stores, for example:

    # start with an empty list
    shopping_list = []

    # make a 'cheese' item
    cheese = ('Cheese', { 'Walmart' : 5.00,
                          'Publix': 5.50,
                          'Costco': 4.99 } )

    # add cheese to the shopping list
    shopping_list.append(cheese)

--
John Gordon         Imagine what it must be like for a real medical doctor to
gordon at panix.com    watch 'House', or a real serial killer to watch 'Dexter'.