Building lists

Seymore4Head Seymore4Head at Hotmail.invalid
Mon Oct 20 15:49:15 EDT 2014

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 20:40:18 +0100, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com>
wrote:

>On 2014-10-20 19:10, Seymore4Head wrote:
>> I haven't had a lot of practice doing this.  If anyone knows of a site
>> I would appreciate it.
>>
>> Will Python work like this:
>> I am trying to come up with an example and work to it.  Say I want a
>> Grocery list and it will have a maximum size of 50 items.
>>
>> I want to do this with one list.
>> Make a list of 0-50.
>> Then can I add to that list so the second item will hold something
>> like cheese, eggs, milk.
>> Say then I want to add the price of cheese, eggs and milk.
>> Say then I want to add another list of price of cheese, eggs milk from
>> another store.
>>
>> Can this be done starting with just a list of numbers from 0-50?
>> Please no hints, just answer directly how it is done.
>>
>> for store in range (50):
>> 	print store
>>
>> How can I add to store where it looks like this:
>> (0,cheese, 1,eggs 2,milk , 3-50,blank for now)
>>
>The grocery list would be a list of the things you want to buy.
>
>There are a number of stores, so that would be a list of stores. For
>each store you want the price of each item, so that would be a dict
>where the key is the item and the value is the price of that item. That
>means it would be a list of dicts.
>
>Does that help?

No.  I am pretty new to Python.

For starters I would like to know if you can make a single item list
and then turn it into a 2 item list.  Is there a command for that?

Do you have to know the number of items the list will have before
making it?