Is there an easy way to control indents in Python

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:54:25 EDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Simon Kennedy <sffjunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not having ever attempted to go beyond even the basics of Perl, the aspect that causes me to refer to Perl 'dismissively' as well comment in this thread, is that I don't find Perl to be an aesthetically pleasing language and I consider Python functions which have no blank lines in them to be a small step towards Perl.
>
> Some people do not like Python's indentation rules but for me it's a large part of what draws me to program in Python. Spaces for indentation and blank lines are both aspects of how I like to program.
>
> I write in Python because I like to, not because I have to.
>
> I think the only reason I might code a function with no blank lines was if I was programming in a language that using blank lines caused it to run too slowly.

So to be clear, I'm not talking about taking a function like this
(contrived) example and just removing the blank line:

def find_path(graphdata, start, end):
    edges = map(str.split, lines)
    graph = collections.defaultdict(list)
    for node1, node2, weight in edges:
        graph[node1].append((node[2], int(weight)))
        graph[node2].append((node[1], int(weight)))

    open_heap = [(0, (start,))]
    closed_set = set()
    while open_heap:
        cost, path = heapq.heappop(open_heap)
        current_node = path[-1]
        if current_node == end:
            return path
        if current_node in closed_set:
            continue
        for next_node, weight in graph[current_node]:
            heapq.heappush((cost + weight, path + (next_node,)))
        closed_set.add(current_node)
    else:
        raise ValueError("No path from start to end")

Rather, I'm saying that where the blank line is should be the start of
a new function. There would still be a blank line, just no longer
inside the function.

Now, maybe you think there should be more blank lines in the above, in
which case we'll just have to disagree on that point.