Question about PANDAS

giacomo boffi pecore at pascolo.net
Mon Oct 20 04:30:14 EDT 2014

Ryan Shuell <ryanshuell at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks guys.  I just feel frustrated that I can't do something useful.

I had read many of your messages in the recent past, and I'm under the
impression that your frustration has more to do with "Python the
Infrastructure" rather than "Python the Language"

my suggestions will somehow reiterate what was told you in previous
threads,

 1. scrap everything python from your hard disk and your registry,
    using unistall as far as possible

 2. choose ONE flavour of python, either 2.7.x or 3.4.x
    - future is with 3.4,
    - most exaples you'll find were written (are still written...)
      for 2.7.x

 3. the Pyton distribution from official sources contains piles of
    stuff (batteries included is the motto) but you seem interested in
    what is called "the python scientific stack" and this is not
    there.

    If you want at once the stdlib AND the great majority of the extra
    modules you're looking for AND an easy way to install other
    packages, there are quite a number of third party distributions
    that fit your ticket very well: entought, anaconda, active state,
    pyxy, all of them should be good enough but I'n not a Windows guy
    and I'm not be able to judge. Anyway, read or ask for advice on
    python windows distributions, chose one, _install using the_
    _defaults_, STICK WITH THAT DISTRIBUTION, familiarizing with its
    infrastructure in terms of installing extra packages, setting
    virtual environments, using the development tools it offers etc

in my very humble opinion, you are discomforted by the multiplicity of
the solutions and your quest for the best one... choose one, maybe not
the best one for you but trust me, it will be good enough! as soon as
you'll be in good terms with Python the language and python the
infrastructure, as presented to you by a single language version and a
single 3rd party distribution, you will gather momentum in a very
short time

my best wishes,