time.perf_counter in Python 2?

Mon Oct 20 03:47:42 EDT 2014

Hello,

I wrote a script that does some time measurements. It uses
time.perf_counter() from Python 3 which works very well. Now I need to
backport it to python 2.

Docs say that time.clock() is way to go:

time.clock()
On Unix, return the current processor time as a floating point number
expressed in seconds. The precision, and in fact the very definition of the
meaning of “processor time”, depends on that of the C function of the same
name, but in any case, this is the function to use for benchmarking Python
or timing algorithms.

On Windows, this function returns wall-clock seconds elapsed since the first
call to this function, as a floating point number, based on the Win32
function QueryPerformanceCounter(). The resolution is typically better than
one microsecond.

But for me it always returns the almost same number, nothing time like:

Python 2.7.3 (default, Feb 27 2014, 19:58:35)
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>>> import time
>>> time.clock()
0.03