Question about PANDAS

Ryan Shuell ryanshuell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 15:57:27 EDT 2014

Thanks guys.  I just feel frustrated that I can't do something useful.
I'm reading all about dictionaries, and types, and touples.  Then I read
about string manipulation and loops; two of my favorite things to do.  Then
I read about logic:
-719 >= 833
False

That's great, but it's just not very useful for me.  I thought I could use
Python to do screen scraping.  Right now, I use R to do almost all my
screen scraping.  I used to use Excel, but r is just light years easier to
use, so I'll go with that.  I thought Python may be even easier to use than
R, and perhaps even more powerful too.  However, since I picked up my first
Python book about 3 months ago, I seem to be learning all kinds of useless
things, and no practical things.  When I find cool code samples online, I
can't even get them to run.  Last week I found a small sample of code that
supposedly merges data from several text files in a folder into one single
file.  I played with it for a couple hours, and never got it to work.  In
less than 15 minutes, I could have done the merging task, using Excel,
Access, VB.NET, C#.NET, or even a batch file.

I guess I'll just keep reading these books.  I have 10 books, and I'm most
of the way throguh 4 of them.  So far, none are teaching me anything that I
could use in my role managing financial assets.  Maybe something will click
soon.  I hope so.

Thanks again everyone.