Question about PANDAS

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 16:57:17 EDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Ryan Shuell <ryanshuell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys.  I just feel frustrated that I can't do something useful.
> I'm reading all about dictionaries, and types, and touples.  Then I read
> about string manipulation and loops; two of my favorite things to do.  Then
> I read about logic:
> -719 >= 833
> False
>
> That's great, but it's just not very useful for me.  I thought I could use
> Python to do screen scraping.  Right now, I use R to do almost all my screen
> scraping.  I used to use Excel, but r is just light years easier to use, so
> I'll go with that.  I thought Python may be even easier to use than R, and
> perhaps even more powerful too.  However, since I picked up my first Python
> book about 3 months ago, I seem to be learning all kinds of useless things,
> and no practical things.  When I find cool code samples online, I can't even
> get them to run.  Last week I found a small sample of code that supposedly
> merges data from several text files in a folder into one single file.  I
> played with it for a couple hours, and never got it to work.  In less than
> 15 minutes, I could have done the merging task, using Excel, Access, VB.NET,
> C#.NET, or even a batch file.

So you have a lot of experience with Microsoft world.  The Open Source
world is a different slant.  That might contribute to your
frustration.  I just looked up R, and I see it is for statistics,
which is something you also seem to know about.

I think there will come an 'aha' moment when python clicks for you.
Or maybe not.   Its a very well constructed language.

Good luck, though.

> I guess I'll just keep reading these books.  I have 10 books, and I'm most
> of the way throguh 4 of them.  So far, none are teaching me anything that I
> could use in my role managing financial assets.  Maybe something will click
> soon.  I hope so.
>
> Thanks again everyone.
>

> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM, Joel Goldstick <joel.goldstick at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>> What messages did you get when you run the installer?
>> Most people use pip to install python packages
>> Are you writing code and putting it in C:/Python27/ ? isn't that where
>> python is installed.  You should write your code in some directory
>> under your user tree.

>> > Have you actually run any code from the Python tutorial yet?  You can do
>> > lots of things with Python that require no third party libraries.  In
>> > fact
>> > many questions here go "I need a solution to this that must be in the
>> > stdlib".  It strikes me that you're trying to enter an Iron Man
>> > competition
>> > before you can crawl.
>> >
>> > --
>> > My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask
>> > what you can do for our language.
>> >
>> > Mark Lawrence
>> >
>> > --
>>

>> --