Quick Question About Setting Up Pytz

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 23:10:53 EDT 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Try learning Python itself, rather than playing around with extension
>> packages like pytz.
>
> To be fair, “You need to install ‘pytz’ to work correctly with date and
> time values” is correct advice. If the OP doesn't install it early, then
> works with timestamps, problems are inevitable — at which point “oh, you
> needed to do that first” will be inevitable. It's lose–lose.
>
> It's a sad fact that MS Windows has completely useless timezone support,
> and this “install a third-party package” hurdle is a cost that is paid
> by all people trying to set up Python on MS Windows.

That's a rough business to be in... I mean... that's unfortunate.
However, I'd still advise anyone to learn the language itself first,
even if that means a rule like "avoid working with international or
historical time". There are plenty of other things Python can do, even
just with a basic Windows installation.

ChrisA