Sqlite3 help

Sibylle Koczian nulla.epistola at web.de
Sat Oct 18 06:27:37 EDT 2014

Am 14.10.2014 15:36, schrieb Chuck:
> I am building a simple podcast program where I download all the data from a feed with feedparser and store the data in sqlite3.  I am spanking new to sqlite and database programming.  Should I create the database in the __init__ method of my class, or is that a bad idea.  I haven't done any designing that included databases.
>
> Thanks!
> Chuck

When I first answered this question, I sent the answer erroneously to
the OP and not to the list. So here it is again.

Am 15.10.2014 18:51, schrieb Chuck Johnson:

 > I was thinking that I could fix that by using ' ' ' CREATE TABLE IF
 > NOT EXISTS ' ' '   Should I make the sqlite3.connect() command a
 > global variable?  I am not sure about how to design this properly.

That should work. I wouldn't make the connection a global variable. Use
it as a parameter for every function that needs it. Roughly like this:

import sqlite3
# other imports as needed

def one_of_my_functions(myconn, my_other_parameters):
     mycurs = myconn.cursor()
     try:
         # do things with mycurs and my_other_parameters
     finally:
         mycurs.close()
         myconn.commit()

# more of the same ...

def main():
     conn = sqlite3.connect('path/to/my/database')
     try:
         one_of_my_functions(conn, params)
         # more of the same
     finally:
         conn.close()

if __name__ == "__main__":
     main()

Or, if your program gets bigger, you might start and stop a connection
inside a function instead of keeping one connection open for all of the
application.

HTH
Sibylle