python3 on mac-mavericks (was trying idle)

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Oct 17 01:03:11 EDT 2014

On 16Oct2014 18:08, rusi <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Friday, October 17, 2014 3:48:20 AM UTC+5:30, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> >Ok Ive some more information:
>> >The people in the audience using macs are using mavericks
>> >Whats the best way to setup python3 for that?
>> >I remember seeing some two different repos (if that what they are called
>> >in mac-land) for python. With some different tradeoffs which I dont understand.
>
>> I use MacPorts. Also popular are Brew and Fink. You can even use them all at
>> once; they install to separate trees.
>
>Ok and is the MacPorts python3 one monolithic package or a bunch of separate
>ones (like debian/ubuntu) for core-python, tkinter, idle etc?

It is one package. (You can install distinct packages for python 3.2, 3.3, 3.4
... and select which one is default.) That gets you Python and the stdlib.

There's a whole suite of extra packages for various third party libraries. And
of course the user can use pip and/or virtualenv to arrange things on their
own, also.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

People are paid for coming in the morning and leaving at night, and for
saying "Good morning" in the morning and "Good afternoon" in the afternoon
and never confusing the two.
         - Albert Shanker, president of the American Federation of Teachers