what is the easiest way to install multiple Python versions?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:59:32 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Albert-Jan Roskam <fomcl at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Most things were indeed easy to solve. But this one surprised me. With Python 2.6, I need to outcomment the 'lambda' line. The error is what I get in Python 2.6. It does not matter if I do u"\n".join(het_logboek[i:]). I don't use latin-1 anywhere in my program. I need to convert unicode to bytes in Python 2.6, or else it chokes in the smart quote.

Hmm, that looks like a configuration difference between the two,
rather than a major breaking difference. It'll depend on the console
settings; if you're running 2.6 from cron, but 2.7 from the console
(or the other way around), you'll see stuff like this break.

It's also possible that a bug was discovered, of course, but what
exactly the bug is, I can't say. The error you're seeing is perfectly
correct: you have Unicode character U+2018 (a curly quote) in your
stream, and the print statement is trying to send that to a Latin-1
output, and that's not going to work. The question is, why is your
console believed to be set to Latin-1? And if encoding UTF-8 works,
then there's something very VERY wrong. (Unless by "works" you just
mean "doesn't throw an error", and the UTF-8 bytes are being
interpreted as Latin-1 bytes.)

ChrisA