Creating a counter

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Wed Oct 15 15:48:30 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-15 20:24, Vincent Vande Vyvre wrote:
> Le 15/10/2014 20:39, Shiva a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to search a string through files in a directory -
>> however while Python script works on it and writes a log - I want
>> to present the user with count of number of strings found. So it
>> should increment for each string found.
>>
>> How do I implement it?
>>
>> If I use a print() within a if condition statement - and execute
>> the script in terminal - for each find, the print() prints in new
>> line instead of a constantly incrementing counter.
>>
 > Try this:
 >
 >   >>> def counter(x):
 > ...     for i in range(x):
 > ...             print "\rProgress .............. %s" % i,
 > ...             sys.stdout.flush()
 > ...             time.sleep(1)
 >   >>> counter(5)

In Python 3, you can specify what to do at the end of the print.
Normally it prints a newline, but you can make it print nothing at the
end, leaving the cursor just after the last thing printed:

 >>> def counter(x):
...     for i in range(x):
...         print("\rProgress .............. %s" % i, end="")
...         sys.stdout.flush()
...         time.sleep(1)
 >>> counter(5)

The "\r" moves the cursor back to the start of the line so that it
overwrites what was printed last time.