stressing problem with Python < 3.3.3 / 2.7.6 and Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks

Wolfgang Maier wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de
Tue Oct 14 15:52:39 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm not a regular MacPython user, but today I had to build Mac wheels
for different versions of Python. To test the wheel files I set up a
fresh Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks and and installed Python 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 from
the python.org download page on it. Then I struggled for the rest of the
afternoon to try to figure out why Python 3.2 crashed when I used my
package in interactive mode until I finally realized that it's not the
package but Python that's responsible.

Turns out that I had run into http://bugs.python.org/issue18458 which
probably every MacPython user here is so familiar with that the download
page doesn't even mention it ? ;)

Seriously, I think the official download page for a OS shouldn't offer
me a version that will not work well with the latest version of that OS
without a warning. Why not add such a warning (like: versions below will
crash in interactive mode on Mac OS 10.9) in the list of downloads at
https://www.python.org/downloads/mac-osx/ between Python 2.7.6 (the
first version with the issue fixed) and Python 3.2.5 (the last affected
version).

Wolfgang