Fwd: How to install and run a script?

Abhiram abhi.darkness at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 16:28:26 EDT 2014

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ryan Shuell <ryanshuell at gmail.com>
> Subject: How to install and run a script?
> Date: 13 October 2014 1:47:58 am IST
> To: python-list at python.org
>
> I'm an absolute noob to Python, although I have been programming in several other languages for over 10 years.
>
> I'm trying to install and run some scripts, and I'm not having much success.
>
> I followed the steps at this site.
> https://docs.python.org/2/install/
>
> I have Python 2.7.6 Shell.
>
> If I type this:
> python setup.py install
>
> I get this:
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Have you completed installation?
If you type “Python” in Cmd, or “Python” in terminal, do you get the Python prompt “>>>” ?
My guess is that your Python installation’s executable isn’t in the Windows / Linux $PATH variable.
Give us more details so we can help you out further. :)

Thanks
Abhiram
“Py,Py,Py your boat. Gently down the IOstream"