How to install and run a script?

Ryan Shuell ryanshuell at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 16:17:58 EDT 2014

I'm an absolute noob to Python, although I have been programming in several other languages for over 10 years.

I'm trying to install and run some scripts, and I'm not having much success.

I followed the steps at this site.
https://docs.python.org/2/install/

I have Python 2.7.6 Shell.

If I type this:
python setup.py install

I get this:
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

If I try this:
setup.py beautifulsoup

I get this:
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

If I got to File > Open . . . . navigate to a folder and open the setup.py file and hit F5 . . . . it looks like it runs, but I can't tell what it does for sure, and then nothing works after that.    For instance, I downloaded something called 'Flask'.  I put that folder in my Python27 folder, and typed 'pip install Flask' and I keep getting errors.

Any idea how to run a simple program???