[OT] spelling colour / color was Re: Toggle

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 03:04:52 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> "Normal" programmers spell words the same in code as they do outside of
> code, e.g.:
>
>     age
>     address
>     length

There's a difference between identifiers and commands, though. I would
expect, for instance, that a customer's address is stored in the
database in an address table, which will have an id, which I can
reference in Python using the name id. (Yes, that mandates shadowing.)
But if I need to reference something that the language/library author
provides, I expect that to use American spelling, mainly because
that's the most common. REXX is somewhat unusual in providing 'center'
and 'centre' functions (identical, just like operator.add and
operator.__add__), but I always used center() because it felt wrong to
use British spelling in language features.

ChrisA