[OT] spelling colour / color was Re: Toggle

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 19:21:03 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>> colour in a programme doesn't seem right.
>
> Perhaps ironically, there are 52 uses of 'colour' in the stdlib, all but 4
> in idlelib, and most of those in one file.  I just changed all except in the
> one file.

I agree, although I wouldn't make the change without good reason
(avoiding code churn). The last time I used "COLOUR" in any code was
in Q-Basic; I had my own subroutine of that name, which did some
processing and then used the built-in COLOR command. In fact, the only
reason I used the "non-program" spelling of the word was because BASIC
doesn't allow shadowing of commands.

(I don't even remember what the COLOUR command did. Probably something
like coping with red-block - when a CRT screen starts to die and the
red channel isn't functional. Hacks to deal with faults, that's what
we do!)

ChrisA