CLI framework using python

vijnaana at gmail.com vijnaana at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 08:20:34 EDT 2014

Hi,

I need to develop a python CLI framework.

For example if i need to set an ip address in linux:

ifconfig eth0 172.16.25.125

I should be able to use python to do the above.

1. The user will execute a python script to which i will pass the params eth0 and ip address (something like ifconf.py  eth0 172.16.25.125)

2. Within the script i grab the params and do something to the effect of user executing 'ifconfig eth0 172.16.25.125' from the shell.

3. There are other such commands for which i will be using python scripts. I came across pyCLI, but it doesn't have much documentation, so couldn't figure out how to move forward.

4. The CLI framework needs to reuse code so i didn't want to use pure python and develop a framework from scratch. Rather use something like pyCLI/CLIFF.

The problem is lack of documentation with examples on how to use the above.

Regards & Thanks,
Vij