operator module functions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Oct 8 15:09:59 EDT 2014

On 10/8/2014 6:57 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> According to the documentation, operator.__add__ is the "official" function,
> and operator.add is just there for convenience.

You are paraphrasing "The function names are those used for special
class methods; variants without leading and trailing __ are also
provided for convenience."  But then there is the following:

10.3.1. Mapping Operators to Functions

This table shows how abstract operations correspond to operator symbols
in the Python syntax and the functions in the operator module.
Operation 	Syntax 	Function
Addition 	a + b 	add(a, b)

etc, using the 'convenient' names. I would like to deprecate and
eventually remove the dunder names.  To me, the duplication is not
'convenient'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy