Representing mathematical equations

Peter Pearson pkpearson at nowhere.invalid
Mon Oct 6 12:45:07 EDT 2014

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 08:42:01 -0600, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/06/2014 07:07 AM, varun7rs at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Okay, I forgot to explain them. L is a set of links, dist is a
>>> number (distance), bd is the bandwidth and hc is a number as well
>>> (hopcount)...different bandwidths, hopcounts and distances for different
>>> links... b(i,x) is what i intend to calculate out of these details...here
>>> 'i'could be the head or tail of the link l and x is a node that hosts i
>>> Thank You
>>
>> Unbelievable. I again forgot to express them
>> L  = [(1,3), (5,7), .....]
>> bd = [23, 34,43.44.....]
>> dist = [3,7,5,7, ....]
>> hc = [2,3,4,1,2,2,...]
>> for every l belonging to L, i could be either 1 or 3 for L[0], similarly
>> for L[1] it could be 5 or 7
>
> You might want to ask on the scipy mailing list[1].  I'm sure the folks
> over there deal with complex sums and math all the time.  Numpy
> (standalone, or as part of scipy) has some facilities for working with
> vectors, products, and summations in an efficient manner.

I don't think the OP is interested in complex numbers.  I think this
is a question about organizing loops.  But I can't tell for sure.

My guess is that l is one of the pairs in L, and that i is one of the
elements in l, or perhaps both in succession.  OP hints that "x is a
node that hosts i", but how that affects the right-hand side of the
equation defining the quantity to be computed, which is lost in the
history of this thread, is unclear.

There's a lesson here for the OP, varun7rs: If your initial query
had been clear and complete, you would have your answer by now.

--
To email me, substitute nowhere->runbox, invalid->com.