Python Basics

alister alister.nospam.ware at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 4 05:10:30 EDT 2014

On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 11:09:58 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Seymore4Head
>> <Seymore4Head at hotmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> for i in range(1,10):
>>>     print (str(i)*i)
>>
>> Seymour, please don't do this. When you "help" someone by just giving
>> him the answer to a homework problem, you get him past his immediate
>> issue of "I need to submit my homework for this problem". That lets him
>> get through his course without understanding the code he's creating
> [...]
>
> In fairness to Seymour, at this extremely basic level, it's really hard
> to explain to somebody how to solve a problem without giving them the
> answer.
>
> While I don't condone mindless parroting of work that others have done,
> remember that for tens of thousands of years, being shown how to do
> something, then imitating that, has been the most effective way for
> people to learn. Dropping hints is typically the least effective
> learning method.

I think Chris as demonstrated that you even at this basic level you can
help without giving the answer, by asking a series of leading questions
that result in the student providing the answer.

--
One possible reason that things aren't going according to plan
is that there never was a plan in the first place.