"High water" Memory fragmentation still a thing?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Oct 4 04:27:01 EDT 2014

dieter <dieter at handshake.de>:

> Without memory compaction, long running processes tend to suffer from
> "memory fragmentation": while sufficient free memory is available, it
> is available only in small blocks, not large enough for some memory
> requests

Now this is a question for the computer scientists. The problem is quite
amenable to purely mathematical/statistical treatment. No doubt they've
been at it for decades.

My personal hunch is that GC in general works best with an ample amount
of RAM, where "ample" means, say, ten times the minimum amount needed.
As a bonus, I'm guessing the ample room would also all but remove the
memory fragmentation issue.

Marko