Python Basics

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Oct 3 21:09:58 EDT 2014

Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Seymore4Head
> <Seymore4Head at hotmail.invalid> wrote:

>> for i in range(1,10):
>>     print (str(i)*i)
>
> Seymour, please don't do this. When you "help" someone by just giving
> him the answer to a homework problem, you get him past his immediate
> issue of "I need to submit my homework for this problem". That lets
> him get through his course without understanding the code he's
> creating
[...]

In fairness to Seymour, at this extremely basic level, it's really hard to
explain to somebody how to solve a problem without giving them the answer.

While I don't condone mindless parroting of work that others have done,
remember that for tens of thousands of years, being shown how to do
something, then imitating that, has been the most effective way for people
to learn. Dropping hints is typically the least effective learning method.

--
Steven