Egg help wanted

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Fri Oct 3 10:08:43 EDT 2014

I have installed (using easy_install) a little utility, it seems to
have installed just the top-level python script in /usr/local/bin
which in turn uses load_entry_point() to run the actual code.

As far as I can see the code and support files remain in the .egg file
in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages, is this right?  I.e. is the
egg file unzipped 'on the fly' when the program is called?

Reading the documentation for pkg_resources it sounds like it will
also work if I unpack the .egg file into a directory of the same name
also put in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages.  Have I understood
this correctly?  I want to do this to make it easy to do trivial edits
to the program rather than having to move it all back into a proper
development environment.

--
Chris Green
·