Clearing globals in CPython

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Oct 1 14:44:26 EDT 2014

On 10/1/2014 12:00 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Out of curiosity, I ran:
>
> globals().clear()
>
> in the interactive interpreter. It broke much more than I expected!
> Built-ins were no longer available, and import stopped working.

As you discovered, this reduces the interpreter to a pure syntax machine
with no name bindings -- sort of like a high-level assembler with no
access to a function library.

> I expected that global variables would be all lost, but built-ins would
> remain, since they don't live in the global namespace. ...
> The reason, I think, is that CPython has a special __builtins__ global
> variable that the interpreter uses to access built-in functions.

When executing statements from Shell, Idle restores __builtins__.
 >>> globals().clear()
 >>> print(dir())
['__builtins__']
 >>> print(__builtins__)
<long listing>

The odd thing is that executing the same code from a file prints [] and
then raises "NameError: name '__builtins__' is not defined".

> Well that's okay, I thought to myself, I'll just import the built-in
> functions:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: __import__ not found

Most keyword statements are implemented by internal functions not
accessible from Python except through the statement syntax.  Import is
an exception.  This is one of the hooks that allow the behavior of
imports to be modified.  The result is like, for instance, programming
in C with 'include' disabled.

--
Terry Jan Reedy