Python 3.4.1 installer on Mac links Python to old Tcl/Tk

Peter Tomcsanyi tomcsanyi at slovanet.sk
Wed Oct 1 07:51:19 EDT 2014

"Ned Deily" <nad at acm.org> wrote in message
news:nad-D2DDCB.14070824062014 at news.gmane.org...
> The easiest option would be a downloadable package that would allow the
> default python.org 8.5-linked _tkinter to be overridden with an 8.6
> version.  There may be some news on that front in the near future.

It's October...
So I tried Python 3.4.2rc1 and it seems that it still links to Tk 8.5 on
Mac.
Does it mean that there is no plan to link to Tk 8.6 in Python 3.4.2 on Mac?
Or is there something that can override 8.5 to 8.6 as you wrote?

In the meantime I tried MacPorts. It has Tk 8.6.1 so rotating text work
well, but it has still a problem with semi-transparency as described here:
http://core.tcl.tk/tk/tktview?name=99b84e49ff
It has been fixed in Tk 8.6.2 that is already published for nearly a month,
but there seems to be no uypdate on macports yet...

So I am quite frustrated that I am not able to make my Python installation
on Mac do the same things (namely roatting text and use png files that have
semi-transparent pixels) both on Windows and Mac.

Best regards

Peter