Using a password with ‘sudo’ (was: Quotation Ugliness)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Nov 26 02:02:02 EST 2014

Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> writes:

> Here's a usecase - I want to know whether I need to use a sudo
> password when the user passes a command on the command line of a
> program:

[…]

> In the first instance, I need the sudo passoword, in the second I don't.

I don't understand what “need a sudo password” means, or what you would
do differently if you detect one case or the other. It's the ‘sudo’
command itself that determines whether you need a password, so what is
your Python code going to do differently?

--
 \        “We have to go forth and crush every world view that doesn't |
  `\                believe in tolerance and free speech.” —David Brin |