PyPI auth issues (Server response (401): basic auth failed)

Ricardo Bánffy rbanffy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 16:26:09 EST 2014

Hi folks.

I must be doing something wrong, but I (and the clever folks at the #python
channel) can't figure what.

I'm doing a:

python setup.py register -r pypitest

And getting the following in return

running register
running egg_info
writing Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to
Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
reading manifest file 'Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
warning: no previously-included files matching '__pycache__' found under
directory '*'
warning: no previously-included files matching '*.py[co]' found under
directory '*'
writing manifest file 'Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
running check
Registering Appengine-Fixture-Loader to https://testpypi.python.org/pypi
Server response (401): basic auth failed

I've checked my auth credentials at the pypitest site, changed the password
to another value, changed the .pypirc file to reflect it and got the same
result.

~/.pypirc is as follows:

[distutils]
index-servers =
    pypi
    pypitest

[pypi]
repository: https://pypi.python.org/pypi
username: rbanffy

[pypitest]
repository: https://testpypi.python.org/pypi
username: rbanffy
password: [super-secret-password]

I then moved the .pypirc file and attempted to register the package at the
real PyPI site:

running register
running egg_info
writing Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/PKG-INFO
writing top-level names to Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/top_level.txt
writing dependency_links to
Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
reading manifest file 'Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
reading manifest template 'MANIFEST.in'
warning: no previously-included files matching '__pycache__' found under
directory '*'
warning: no previously-included files matching '*.py[co]' found under
directory '*'
writing manifest file 'Appengine_Fixture_Loader.egg-info/SOURCES.txt'
running check
We need to know who you are, so please choose either:
 1. use your existing login,
 2. register as a new user,
 3. have the server generate a new password for you (and email it to you),
or
 4. quit
Your selection [default 1]:
1
Username: rbanffy
Password:
Registering Appengine-Fixture-Loader to http://pypi.python.org/pypi
Server response (401): basic auth failed

So, what am I doing wrong?