unloading a module created with imp.new_module

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon Nov 24 06:21:43 EST 2014

On 11/24/14 2:25 AM, Patrick Stinson wrote:
> Basically, I have an app and am making it possible for the users to
> automate it by writing python scripts that run against the app's API. It
> includes PyQt5 widgets, a QScintilla editor, and a simple API for I/O.
> Apple’s app store is the plan.
>
> Right now I create a new module with types.ModuleType(‘something’), then
> exec the code in the module’s dict. Then when the user saves the script
> again in my editor, it deletes all top-level references in the module’s
> dict that don’t belong to the core list: ['__spec__', '__name__',
> '__loader__', '__package__', '__doc__', '__builtins__’] before running
> exec again.
>
> So far this seems to effectively “delete” the old module and re-compile
> it with the updated source. For example I can create Qt Widgets on the
> module level and they are safely deleted when the script is saved.

(BTW: the convention in most groups like this one is to bottom-post: put
your responses beneath the text you are responding to.)

Keep in mind that Python object have a reference to their class. If your
users are defining classes in their modules, and you instantiate the
class to create objects, then even when you reload updated code, the old
objects will still refer to the old classes.  This is one of the things
that makes reloading modules in Python so difficult.