unloading a module created with imp.new_module

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 05:10:21 EST 2014

I am defining a single class with a destructor method that prints ‘__del__’, and running that source code string using exec with the module’s dict like so:

import rtmidi
import sys
import types
import time
import gc

s = """
class A:
    def __del__(self):
        print('__del__')
a = A()
"""

m = types.ModuleType('mine')
exec(s, m.__dict__)
print('deleting...')
m = None
print('done')

and the output is:

deleting...
done
__del__

I the “__del__" to come between “deleting…” and “done”. This is not being run from the interactive interpreter by via a .py file.