"**" in python

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sun Nov 23 20:00:03 EST 2014

On 23Nov2014 18:43, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
>On 2014-11-24 01:33, Abdul Abdul wrote:
>> Wxy**2
>>
>> What do ** mean here?
>
>"to the power of", so your code squares the value of "Wxy", or "Wxy *
>Wxy"
>
>https://docs.python.org/2/reference/expressions.html#the-power-operator

With respect to finding this out for yourself, if you go the Python docs:

  https://docs.python.org/3/

and follow the "index" link at the top right:

  https://docs.python.org/3/genindex.html

and in that page, follow the "Symbols" link:

  https://docs.python.org/3/genindex-Symbols.html

you will find "**" there, along with a lot of other operator and syntax stuff.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Swiftkey, [...] teaches one the lamentable lesson that most
English speakers start most sentences, phrases and sub-clauses
with 'I'. One does not use the word often oneself and it therefore
strikes one as a little unfair that one's texts and emails so often
end up littered with implications of egocentricity. - Stephen Fry
http://www.stephenfry.com/2012/04/03/four-and-half-years-on/9/