python 2.7 and unicode (one more time)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 17:22:46 EST 2014

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 7:31 AM, Dave Angel <d at davea.name> wrote:
> On 11/23/2014 01:13 PM, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014, at 11:33, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>>>
>>>         Why would that be possible? Many truetype fonts only supply
>>> glyphs for
>>> single-byte encodings (ISO-Latin-1, for example -- pop up the Windows
>>> character map utility and see what some of the font files contain.
>>

>> With a bitmap font selected, the characters will be immediately replaced
>> with characters present in the font's codepage, and will copy to
>> clipboard as such.
>

> I didn't realize Windows shell (DOS box) had that bug.  Course I don't use
> Windows much the last few years.

Likewise. I've been accustomed to copying and pasting unrecognized
characters (one of the easiest solutions is to paste them into a
Python console - ord() for one character, or a Py2 repr() for multiple
- to quickly see what the codepoints are), relying on the clipboard
getting the exact same sequence that was printed by the application.
Thanks, Windows, just what I always wanted to hear.

ChrisA