python 2.7 and unicode (one more time)

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Sun Nov 23 13:13:32 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014, at 11:33, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> 	Why would that be possible? Many truetype fonts only supply glyphs for
> single-byte encodings (ISO-Latin-1, for example -- pop up the Windows
> character map utility and see what some of the font files contain.

With a bitmap font selected, the characters will be immediately replaced
with characters present in the font's codepage, and will copy to
clipboard as such.

With a truetype font (Lucida Console or Consolas) selected, the
characters will be displayed as replacement glyphs (box with a question
mark in it) if not present in the font, but *will still copy to the
clipboard as the original code point* (which you might notice is where
we started, with someone claiming success by being able to do so with
codepage 65001 selected). And in any case, all characters that *are* in
the font will work and display correctly, rather than only those in the
OEM codepage.

> 	Heck -- on my current machine, the True Type fonts are all old
> third-party items. All the standard fonts are now Open Type.

The win32 console's configuration UI refers to opentype fonts as
truetype. Opentype fonts can use either truetype or type 1 as the
underlying format, and all opentype fonts supplied with windows use
truetype. You are being excessively pedantic in objecting to my use of
the term "truetype".