Comprehension with two variables - explanation needed

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Nov 23 12:08:19 EST 2014

We seem to be somewhat more liberal about nested comprehensions here, but I can't say I'm proud of that :-)

906 Python source files, 109k lines.

$ find . -name '*.py' | xargs grep '\[.* for .*\]' | wc -l
729

$ find . -name '*.py' | xargs grep '\[.* for .* for .*\]' | wc -l
46

Without naming names, a quick look into our nested comprehensions with "hg blame" shows a very strong correlation between "people who wrote many nested comprehensions" and "people who's code I find difficult to read in general".  I see one of these that has my name on the commit:

   report = [keys] + [[line[key] for key in keys] for line in results]

but I'm glad to report that this was merely some third-party code that I imported into our repo.  Whew, that was close!

--
Roy Smith
roy at panix.com