SQLite3 in Python 2.7 Rejecting Foreign Key Insert

llanitedave llanitedave at birdandflower.com
Sun Nov 23 01:46:43 EST 2014

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:32:30 PM UTC-8, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM, llanitedave wrote:
> > The application was working "correctly" earlier (meaning that I could enter and retrieve data with it; being a strictly user application it didn't allow deletes from the GUI), and then I discovered (while cleaning up the user documentation) that I'd neglected to include a couple of relatively important database fields.  Because of SQLite's limited ALTER TABLE capabilities, that mean I had to recreate the tables to add the fields, and in doing so noticed that the table in question didn't even have the foreign key constraint defined.  So ever since I defined that constraint, it hasn't let me save any records on that table from Python.  Although, as I said, when entering the same data through the Sqliteman application, it works fine. That's why I suspected that the problem might be in the Python API for SQLite3.
> >

> Entirely possible. I never did track down the actual cause of the
> SQLite3 issues my students were having; though I suspect it's not
> purely a Python API issue. I tried to demonstrate the concept of
> foreign keys using the sqlite3 command line tool, and did a sequence
> of commands which ought to have failed, but didn't. Let's see if I can
> recreate this:
>
> rosuav at sikorsky:~$ sqlite3
> SQLite version 3.7.13 2012-06-11 02:05:22
> Enter ".help" for instructions
> Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"
> sqlite> create table foo (val text primary key);
> sqlite> create table bar (val text references foo on delete set null);
> sqlite> insert into foo values ('asdf');
> sqlite> insert into bar values ('asdf');
> sqlite> insert into bar values ('qwer');
> sqlite> select * from foo;
> asdf
> sqlite> select * from bar;
> asdf
> qwer
> sqlite> delete from foo;
> sqlite> select * from foo;
> sqlite> select * from bar;
> asdf
> qwer
>
> So the foreign key is being completely ignored. If I do the same
> commands in PostgreSQL, I get errors at appropriate places:
>
> rosuav at sikorsky:~$ psql
> psql (9.3.5)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> rosuav=> create table foo (val text primary key);
> CREATE TABLE
> rosuav=> create table bar (val text references foo on delete set null);
> CREATE TABLE
> rosuav=> insert into foo values ('asdf');
> INSERT 0 1
> rosuav=> insert into bar values ('asdf');
> INSERT 0 1
> rosuav=> insert into bar values ('qwer');
> ERROR:  insert or update on table "bar" violates foreign key
> constraint "bar_val_fkey"
> DETAIL:  Key (val)=(qwer) is not present in table "foo".
> rosuav=> select * from foo;
>  val
> ------
> [...]

And thanks again, Chris! I'm not too worried about SQLite's limitations on this particular application, it's just an embedded single-user tool.  Workarounds should be fairly straightforward, as long as I know my own limitations!

For the Django version, it's going to be multi-user and I wouldn't really be comfortable using anything but Postgres.  But yeah, I'll need help, because I'm a slow learner!