python 2.7 and unicode (one more time)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 09:17:04 EST 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 12:50 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> "Tire car" makes no sense. "Rectangular door" makes perfect sense, and in a
> world where there are dozens of legacy non-rectangular doors, it would be
> very sensible to specify the kind of door. Just as we specify sliding door,
> glass door, security door, fire door, flyscreen wire door, and so on.

Not just legacy - scifi often has non-rectangular doors. (And they're
often HORRIBLY impractical. I think the rectangular door is here to
stay.) But English is a strange beast. A glass door is made of
glass... a flyscreen wire door is made of (at least, has a significant
component of) flyscreen, but a fire door isn't made of fire...

ChrisA