GUI toolkit(s) status

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 05:46:46 EST 2014

Le jeudi 20 novembre 2014 10:04:40 UTC+1, Christian Gollwitzer a écrit :
> Am 20.11.14 09:40, schrieb Chris Angelico:
> >>
> >> Tkinter still works for me.  What's the problem?
> >
> > Ignore jmf.
>
> He is trolling, but in this point he is right, unfortunately: neither
> Tcl nor Tk support Unicode outside the BMP. Full Unicode support is a
> big todo item on the wishlist for Tcl 9, for Tk nobody really knows. We
> are lacking manpower and people with specialized knowledge. Apple is a
> moving target, they pulled the rug from under Tk's feet twice over the
> past 10 years. Nobody knows if Tk will continue to exist on the mac if
> Cocoa is withdrawn some day and replaced by a new and completely
> different windowing framework. Python has largely replaced Tcl as the
> first-choice scripting language, and that also does not help to attract
> people working on Tcl/Tk.
>
> 	Christian

I think you are not understanding the point very well.

Py32 and Qt derivative + plenty of dirty tricks.
(It will probably not be rendered correctly.)

Write something like this (an interactive interpreter)
in Py32 and Py33 and see what happens:

>>> print(999)
999
>>> sys.version
'3.2.5 (default, May 15 2013, 23:06:03) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]'
>>> # note the emoji and the private use area (plane 15)
>>> a = 'abc\u00e9\u0153\u20ac\u1e9e\U0001f300\udb80\udc00z'
>>> print(a)
abc需ẞ🌀󰀀z

Note: it can be "cut/copied/pasted" with a MS product.

jmf

PS I have to recognized, I'm slowly getting tired to
find thousand and one ways to make Python crashing
or failing.