python 2.7 and unicode (one more time)

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Nov 22 01:40:38 EST 2014

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:

> In Python, we have Unicode strings and byte strings.

No, you don't. You have strings and bytes:

  Textual data in Python is handled with str objects, or strings.
  Strings are immutable sequences of Unicode code points. String
  literals are written in a variety of ways: [...]

  e-str>

  The core built-in types for manipulating binary data are bytes and bytearray.

Equivalently, I wouldn't mind "character strings" vs "byte strings".
Unicode strings is not wrong but the technical emphasis on Unicode is as
strange as a "tire car" or "rectangular door" when "car" and "door" are
what you usually mean.

Marko