Infinitely nested containers

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Fri Nov 21 12:39:15 EST 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014, at 02:00, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Gill Shen <gillarete at gmail.com>:
>
> > How is this [nesting] behavior implemented under the hood?
>
> Pointers.
>
> > And why is this allowed at all?
>
> There's no reason not to.

There's no reason not to allow it with tuples, but you can't do it.
Mainly because doing it in a single literal would require special
syntax, whereas you can simply append to a list a reference to itself.

I think I tried on at least one python version and printing the tuple
crashed with a recursion depth error, since it had no special protection
for this case the way list printing does.