GUI toolkit(s) status

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Fri Nov 21 09:05:38 EST 2014

On 11/20/14, 4:04 AM, Christian Gollwitzer wrote:
> Apple is a
> moving target, they pulled the rug from under Tk's feet twice over the
> past 10 years. Nobody knows if Tk will continue to exist on the mac if
> Cocoa is withdrawn some day and replaced by a new and completely
> different windowing framework.

There is indeed a lack of manpower and expertise for Tk/Mac:  I'm pretty
much it, except when someone submits a patch to scratch a specific itch.

Apple has introduced Swift as a new systems language, but (as I
understand it) the intent is to supersede Objective-C as a language, not
the Cocoa frameworks per se. So I think the risk of a brand-new
windowing system replacing Cocoa (and thus requiring yet another new
implementation of Tk) is pretty small. There may be a larger risk with
newer API's being expressed mainly in Swift, which would require
conversion to Objective-C for legacy codebases, but that is a smaller
hurdle to clear.

--Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer