python 2.7 and unicode (one more time)

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu Nov 20 13:26:53 EST 2014

random832 at fastmail.us wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014, at 09:59, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> >
>> > This is surprising to me - why is it trying to decode the format
>> > string, rather than encode the arguments?
>>
>> Why should it encode to bytes?
>
> Because a bytes format string suggests a bytes result. Why does unicode
> always "win", rather than the type of the format string always winning?

My guess is that when unicode was introduced the decision to propagate str
to unicode in some cases was made because the developers expected that more
old code that was unaware of unicode would continue to work.

The old methods __mod__(), replace(), and join() that conceptually deal with
strings propate while those that deal with characters -- center(),
r/ljust(), translate() -- dont.

The newer format() method doesn't propagate which is probably due to a
change in attitude rather than an oversight.