Trouble getting full response content from PATCH request

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Nov 20 05:17:01 EST 2014

On 19Nov2014 17:17, John Gordon <gordon at panix.com> wrote:
>In <mailman.15988.1416366536.18130.python-list at python.org> Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> writes:
>> >The API uses the HTTP PATCH operation to set user passwords, and in
>> >case of unacceptable passwords, the response is supposed to be an HTML
>> >document containing a diagnostic message in the <body> tag.
>> >
>> >When I submit my test data via a functional testing tool (SoapUI), it
>> >behaves as expected.
>> >
>> >However, when I submit test data from Python code, the response content
>> >consists only of the diagnostic message, with no enclosing <html> or <body>
>> >tags.
>> [...]
>
>> You need a "SOAPAction: " HTTP header with SOAP requests. It may be that
>> simple.
>
>The API does provide some SOAP calls, but the specific call I'm using is
>REST.  Is there a corresponding header I should use?

At this point I have no idea; I took things to be SOAP because your SoapUI tool
worked.

My next suggestion would be to insert a proxy between yourself and the API,
specificly so that you can run your working SoapUI test through it. Then you
can get a snapshot of headers and requests that work.

We've used Paros in the past, but a search for "debugging http proxy" on Google
shows several choices.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

The ten thousand things