pack circles into a partial annulus

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Nov 20 05:12:19 EST 2014

I need to pack circles into a partial annulus ie part of a larger circle bounded
by two radii and angles of  say 18 & 90. The region is described in polar coords
as {(r,theta) | r0<=r<=r1 & theta0<=theta<=theta1}. The circles to be packed
have three different radii, but all will fit singly into the region. The idea is
that they should be as far apart as possible so as to minimize overlap and avoid
crossing the region boundary.

Circle packing is hard so I'm thinking of using some kind of spring/repulsion
model to do this.

Has anyone any ideas about how to do this?
--
Robin Becker