GUI toolkit(s) status

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Thu Nov 20 04:04:29 EST 2014

Am 20.11.14 09:40, schrieb Chris Angelico:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> wxjmfauth at gmail.com writes:
>>> Today, there are simply no more valid and working
>>> GUI toolkit running "out of the box".
>>
>> Tkinter still works for me.  What's the problem?
>
> Ignore jmf.

He is trolling, but in this point he is right, unfortunately: neither
Tcl nor Tk support Unicode outside the BMP. Full Unicode support is a
big todo item on the wishlist for Tcl 9, for Tk nobody really knows. We
are lacking manpower and people with specialized knowledge. Apple is a
moving target, they pulled the rug from under Tk's feet twice over the
past 10 years. Nobody knows if Tk will continue to exist on the mac if
Cocoa is withdrawn some day and replaced by a new and completely
different windowing framework. Python has largely replaced Tcl as the
first-choice scripting language, and that also does not help to attract
people working on Tcl/Tk.

	Christian