import math error

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sun Nov 16 17:55:35 EST 2014

You forgot to specify your Python version here.

ryguy7272 <ryanshuell at gmail.com> Wrote in message:
> When I type 'import math', it seems like my Python recognizes this library.  Great.  When I try to run the following script, I get an error, which suggests (to me) the math library is not working correctly.

Nothing to do with the math library.  It's a syntax error. And it
 occurs before the first call into the math library.

> Script:
> import math
> def main():
> 	print "This program finds the real solutions to a quadratic"
> 	print
> 	a, b, c = input("Please enter the coefficients (a, b, c): ")

Ouch. input is unsafe, anot recommended. That's why python 3
 renamed the raw_input function to input,  eliminating the unsafe
 version.  Nevertheless,  I'll assume you understand the risks,
 and we'll go on with your problem.

> 	discRoot = math.sqrt(b * b - 4 * a * c)
> 	root1 = (-b + discRoot) / (2 * a)
> 	root2 = (-b - discRoot) / (2 * a)
> 	print
> 	print "The solutions are:", root1, root2
> main()
>
> Error:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\QuadraticEquation.py", line 11, in <module>
>     main()
>   File "C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\QuadraticEquation.py", line 5, in main
>     a, b, c = input("Please enter the coefficients (a, b, c): ")
>   File "<string>", line 1
>     (1,1,2):
>            ^
> SyntaxError: unexpected EOF while parsing

The error is occurring while parsing the user's input,  which
 should not have a colon.  The smallest flaw with using input ()
 is that user error cause strange looking exceptions.

--
DaveA